Tuesday, April 24, 2007

192- FORT STOCKTON.. FLASHBACK I

FORT STOCKTON, TEXAS
BOY DOES THAT BRING BACK MEMORIES OF LONELY NIGHTS ON THE HI-WAY AND TRUCK STOPS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.
I can still remember the night I ran out of gas, at 2:00 A.M. about 40 miles east of Fort Stockton, on Interstate 10, in West Texas. I turned onto an off ramp that said, "Gas, Entering Bakersfield. The next sign I saw was, you are "Leaving Bakersfield." To make a long story short, I flat ass ran out of gas about 5 miles later. Now I could see Fort Stockton in the distance, looked like it was just a skip down the road... but noooo, it was 35 miles away. Thumbing down a diesel semi on the C.B. radio, we rode into the town, bought some gas, ate a little breakfast and returned to the task of getting back to our, out of gas, pick-up truck. Now this took a whole new other ride, to go back the same way we just thumbed from coming the other way.... It took 4 hours to be "on the road again" Yes, Fort Stockton, never forget it, ever.
.....GED.....

No comments: