Saturday, February 23, 2008

982- WHITE COLLAR CRIME

A POLL TAKEN THIS WEEK BY THE SAIPAN TRIBUNE

This Week's Poll:
Is the CNMI government doing enough to pursue corruption cases and other white-collar crimes on the islands?
Yes- 14
No- 104
No opinion- 6
.
This has been an ever growing subject of concern for myself and many other people. I will refer you to a post I wrote recently, containing the questions by myself and two other people on this same subject.
Writers Mr. Anthony Pellegrino and Mr. Bill Weiss expressed their concerns about this issue in this post also. I suggest you read this post if you haven't already.
Now we see an overwhelming amount of local citizens who think the same thing, as you can see by the results of this local poll. So why does there seem to be nothing done about this? Maybe we should demand an accounting of why this seems to be standing still and absolutely no actions being taken to correct this.
My solution to put a stop to these crimes... An Elected Attorney General and an Elected Public Auditor!
Please offer your suggestion as to what you think will get this ball rolling. Something must be done!
.....GED.....
PS.. Spell check is working again.. Yes!!!

9 comments:

Lil' Hammerhead said...

I'm curious to know what white collar crime do they suppose is happening. I didn't read Pelli's piece, but Bill's was devoid of any information relative to these types of crimes being perpetrated by specific offices.

Not to say it isn't happening.. probably is. I'm just curious if anyone has heard of specific instances that need investigating, or are these just calls for a blanket action.

glend558 said...

Lil, Bills article focused on travel (junkets) read it here
saipantribune.com/newsstory.aspx?cat=15&newsID=76304
Also on the misspending of the now defunct MPLA who the governor admitted was out of line.
What amazed me about this was the poll taken by the S.Tribune and the lopsided vote. Hence the reason for the post.

Lil' Hammerhead said...

Yeah, the MPLA thing has been out there. But the "junket" stuff was pretty unspecific.

Don't get me wrong.. I believe wholeheartedly that the OPA needs to continuously investigate agencies and specific incidents. With all the hubub about investigations of abuse.. I haven't seen any information or heard any rumors of something specific. I was just curious.. thought I might be out of the loop or just missed something.

glend558 said...

You have, maybe hit the nail on the head, without knowing it. The fact that you don't hear about it is the problem.. It gets covered up. Why do you thinl in a public poll its 10 to 1 that the people believe there are crimes comitted?
The public auditor does find and expose these problems but nothing is ever done about it. I'll try to get some statistics on these findings. I know I've seen some but I'm not sure sure right now where.

glend558 said...

Lil:
Here are a few references:
http://saipantribune.com/newsstory.aspx?cat=1&newsID=76286

http://saipantribune.com/newsstory.aspx?cat=1&newsID=76116

Lil' Hammerhead said...

Hey Glen.. Tony is coming out with those "specific incidents" in tomorrow's paper.

glend558 said...

The 'all seeing' has spoken here they are...
http://saipantribune.com/newsstory.aspx?newsID=77345&cat=3

So lil are you getting the drift of the post along with sone specific information?
Yup, I knew you would...

Lil' Hammerhead said...

I totally understand Glen, and agree that we need to be viligant about waste, abuse and corruption. I just wanted to know if anyone's speaking about specific incidents (that I don't know about). Pelligrino listed a bunch of them.

glend558 said...

I'm sure you won't find these on a list of 'my accomplishments' during an election year. But they are lurking out there.
I know you have 'got' it already...